.NET 4.0

Jul 5, 2013 at 12:00 PM
Is there any chance that this library could be supported on .NET 4.0?

I've tried to compile it myself on 4.0, manually modifying the project files to target .NET 4.0. I found that it could be done by simply adding the following extension code:
public static class Extensions
{
  public static void Invoke(this Dispatcher dispatcher, Action action)
  {
    dispatcher.Invoke((Delegate)action);
  }
}
I'm not certain if my resulting code is working as it's supposed to. The Demo01 project works fine, showing a cube that rotates and zooms with the mouse. However Demo02, Demo03 and AscendViewer does not show the models as I would expect. Demo02 shows some very large triangles and Demo03 either a completely black window.

I do not have .NET 4.5 installed (and do not want to at the moment) so I cannot compare with the binary downloads.
Jul 5, 2013 at 10:29 PM
I've just had the chance to try the binary version of AscendViewer on a computer with .NET 4.5. Loading the Demo02 and Demo03 models (birds.asc and gems.asc) shows very strange results, similar to what I see in the build I made with .NET 4.0. I therefore assume that it is a problem with the library and not related to the use of .NET 4.0 instead of .NET 4.5.
Coordinator
Jan 3, 2014 at 6:35 PM
Hi jensrodi,

My apologies for getting back to you so late (Codeplex wasn't notifying me of new Discussion posts). I can definitely take a look at this, as I would assume there is not much effort involved in transitioning to .NET 4.0. It is certainly strange that your test on the binary versions showed bad results for .NET 4.5, since that's what I have been testing the releases with (on multiple computers).

Have you experienced the strange results with the latest release (2013-10-26)? There have been various bugfixes since July.

Thanks for your posts -- I appreciate your involvement and testing.

Best,
-Andrew
Coordinator
Jan 3, 2014 at 6:58 PM
I was able to test with the latest release on computer different from my development computer, and I am seeing artifacts similar to what you describe. It looks to me to be a refreshing issue related to a graphics card. I will continue to investigate and also test with other computers. Thanks for the heads up about this issue.

-Andrew
Coordinator
Jan 3, 2014 at 10:53 PM
I will verify that this doesn't occur on my development machine. If it does not occur, it is most likely a graphics card issue. I have had luck with turning on Software Rendering (or possibly by disabling anti-aliasing). See this Microsoft KB article.
Jan 4, 2014 at 12:09 PM
It's ok. I was looking at this library to investigate it's possible potential for future projects. I haven't gotten around to doing anything else in the meantime.

Being that my test was a while ago, my recollection is a bit vague, but I'm sure that some of the tests where done on a new Mac Book Pro running Windows 7 through BootCamp, so there should not be any issues there in regards to the graphics card. Also, all the machines I tried it on, did not have any issues with other software in regards to graphics performance (both 2d and 3d).

I'm currently on paternity leave, but when I get back on to work, I'll try to find some time to do more tests.

Yours,
Jens Christian Rodi Hansen